Donnerstag, 16. Januar 2014

Baby Swimming!

Is there anything more adorable in the entire world than heaps of little babies doing things? Of course not!
It's good to have baby friends. This picture taken two
months ago. Clockwise from the top: Nava, Noah and Enzo.
Nava was a *little* unhappy and Enzo looks surprised,
but hey - at least Noah (another best baby buddy)
is in control of the situation. 

So it was with great glee that my friend Antonia and I signed our little whippersnappers up for baby swim classes, which started this week. 

Nava's friend Enzo is two weeks older than her, but in fact their due dates were only three days apart. Which is to say, they're about as close in age as two people can get. This is great for Antonia and I, since during our pregnancies we could call each other and ask intensely personal questions about growths and appetites, and now we can compare shades of poop and our babies' bizarre reluctance to roll from front to back (yet!). It's all very reassuring.  


I wasn't really sure what to expect at a swim class for infants. Certainly not a lot of swimming, obviously. 


At the pool with Nava, who just figured out where
she got her double chin. All pictures thanks to
Antonia, who couldn't swim because she's
recovering from shingles. 
It turned out to be pretty cute. First we sang a song introducing all the babies by name, and then we held the kids in different positions while we pulled them in circles through the pool so that they could get a feel for the water on their skin. At the end, the babies were paraded under a bent swimming noodle while the instructor used a tiny watering can to baptise each head. And boom, 25 minutes and 25 euro were gone for good. 

Nava was doing great until the part where I was supposed to drag her on her back, supporting her head in one hand with my other hand on her chest. I think this is because, being the hero that I am, I managed to get a bunch of water in her ears and nose. 

The instructor kept talking about letting the babies relax completely, but mine was sort of kicking and struggling and attempting not to drown, so I might have done something wrong there. Anyway, I'm sure Nava will grow up to be a little water rat. Her dad and I both are, so it stands to reason. A little water down the wrong tubes is just part of the process. Right? Right. 

Naomi, Nava, Enzo, and his aunt, Domenica.
I cannot tell you how badly Nava wanted Enzo's ears. Very badly indeed. 

We hear that one day baby heads are going to actually go UNDER WATER, and we were given arm floaties, so I assume we can also look forward to independent baby bobbing. Can't hardly wait for next week. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen